Whether you’re looking for a cozy respite for morning coffee or an ideal spot for entertaining friends, there are many ways to make the most of your outdoor area. Designing a comfortable and inviting outdoor living space is all about increasing the space’s comfort, functionality, and aesthetics. Consider what activities and functions you need, so you can choose furniture and elements to bring your vision to life. Here are 6 ways to create a comfortable outdoor living space
1. Selecting the Right Furnishing
The foundation of any outdoor living space is comfortable seating and furniture pieces that provide an inviting atmosphere and encourage people to stay and relax.
- Selecting durable, low-maintenance materials that stand up to the elements is wise.
- Ensure all pieces are well-crafted and made with quality materials to ensure they last season after season.
- If you plan to entertain guests or host intimate gatherings, opt for comfortable seating arrangements with chairs, loungers, benches, and patio tables that provide enough room for everyone.
- Choose fabrics and comfy cushions to create a soft, inviting atmosphere.
- Thinking about size and shape is essential. Furniture pieces that are too small will seem out of proportion; too large will overwhelm the space.
- Hammocks or swings hung from posts add options perfect for napping or relaxing with a good book.
2. Optimize with Covered Outdoor Living Area
Creating a covered outdoor living space is a great way to extend your living space outdoors and provide protection from the elements. There are many options for covering the area that can fit any budget.
- If opting for a structural cover, like a pergola, consider both the permanent and portable options.
- Permanent covers are typically made of wood or metal and require professional installation.
- Portable covers offer convenience and ease of setup but may not be as durable as permanent structures.
3. Enhance with Lighting
Lighting is an essential element to consider when transforming your area into a cozy outdoor living space. The proper lighting can bring the entire look of your outdoor space together. There is a wide variety of lighting solutions to choose from that can create the atmosphere you want while delivering adequate illumination.
- Select lighting to add warmth, safety, and ambiance to your outdoor living space.
- Invest in quality string lights that you can hang around the outdoor living area and turn them on as soon as it gets dark outside.
- Solar-powered fixtures offer energy efficiency, while lanterns and candles will give off a traditional feel.
4. Add Beauty with Greenery
Incorporating greenery into the design of your outdoor living space adds freshness, color, and life to the area.
- Design areas around the perimeter to showcase colorful flowers and plants.
- Select plants that best complement the space and your overall style aesthetic.
- Look for planters made with sustainable materials like cedar wood or concrete. These materials are durable and weatherproof, and they can also be beautiful accents for displaying your beautiful potted plants and flowers.
- Place smaller potted plants like herbs or succulents around the seating area in various locations to add interest.
- Add larger shrubs or flowers near the outer edges of the site for more depth as well as height contrasts.
5. Include a Relaxing Water Feature
Consider installing an outdoor water feature for added relaxation.
- The soothing sounds of trickling water adds an extra sense of relaxation and peace, creating a calming oasis.
- Attracts butterflies and songbirds.
6. Install a Heat Feature
Consider installing an outdoor heat feature to add extra character and comfort to your outdoor living space. Be sure to look into local fire regulations before making any installations to ensure you follow proper safety protocols.
- Adding a heat feature offers a cozy and inviting appeal to outdoor gathering spots and provides ambient lighting after dusk.
- Incorporating a heat source keeps the living area warm and inviting after dusk when the temperatures drop.
Benefits of adding a comfortable outdoor living space include the following:
- Adds usable entertaining space.
- Boosts curb appeal.
- Increases property values.
- Helps reduce stress levels and increase focus, creativity, and productivity.
Planning your outdoor living area and adding comfort features helps you create a serene escape where you can relax after a long day or entertain family and friends in comfortable luxury. Boosting your home’s curb appeal with a beautiful and functional outdoor space will make your home stand out from others and attract more buyers when you decide to sell.
Talk to a Real Estate Professional
Selling your home begins with your online listing. Improving your home’s online curb appeal will go a long way to attracting potential buyers and selling your home at top dollar. Talk to a local real estate professional when you’re ready to put your home on the market. They can advise you on the best ways to market your home and can provide helpful information every step of the way. If you’re ready to sell, contact Sandra Meranda at 314-691-1320 for a free market analysis of your home.